15 April 2009

Ladybug Picnic

On my knees in the damp earth, I found where the ladybugs had been overwintering. I had been weeding the strawberry bed, the one in which the berries hadn't filled in completely and other plants were competing for space. As I reached for a large dandelion, my hand brushed a dry strawberry leaf, and a burst of pink and black burbled from the soil and surrounding foliage. Beautiful beetles! I was so happy to see them, for their presence means that there was plenty of food for them to thrive last year, and they will be helping me keep garden pests under control this year. This variety of lady beetle eats pollen, too, and there is no shortage of blooming plants in our area. I see the presence of healthy predator insects as a sign that my ecosystem is also in good condition; otherwise, fewer predators could be supported. Along with the multitude of Carolina mantis egg cases, busy little wolf spiders no bigger than a pencil eraser, and ground beetles, these ladybugs excite me and help me look forward to warm days surrounded by many of my favorite insect friends!

1 comment:

Lyn said...

urg! I dropped poor Critter...

I have a question, do insects have feelings? I have a moth cocoon (Critter) that gets all twitchy when I pick it up.
I hope I am not scaring poor Critter-bug. He seems to get very flippy and does somersaults in this cocoon when I talk to him and look at her or it...
It's going to turn into a luna moth soon.